Monday, February 13, 2012

The Finished Neoprene Avenger Suit

The second jacket, ya'know, the one with the Neoprene lining that was intentionally for the yellow shell... I finally finished. I think I said it would be done a few days ago, ugh, things always take longer than I assume. I spent some extra time making sure seams lined up and diamonds were where they were supposed to be, and I'm very happy I did.

The jacket seams are PUFFY, the neoprene is so thick and it doesn't press, so around the collar and hood I decided to topstitch it down and have a nice seam. The upside to the stitch is it made the edge a lot firmer so it holds its shape better. I ended up not stitching around the rest, I like the way it muffin-tops around the zipper.

It's the exact same shape as the yellow version, just that I had to add extra seam allowance to give room for the thick lining. This jacket is WARM, dang; I could only spend a few minutes moving around indoors to take pictures before I really started to heat up. It is so fitted, and with an insulating fabric things get toasty in a hurry.

I'll finish off here with another glamour shot; as I mentioned after finishing the yellow jacket, I'm not super happy with my pattern so I'll be re-fashioning one until I'm satisfied and can make it a permanent pattern for my collection. I need to re-work the sleeve caps, and I prefer to not have the side panel, instead, a solid front with darts and pleats, and it needs a horizontal seam on the back between the shoulders.

Thanks for checking in. Any fellas out there sewing their Valentines a gift this year?


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Life Lessons, and Sewing Neoprene

For those of you who remember, my last jacket turned out pretty good (unexpectedly); what most of you don't know is that I had much different outcome for it originally. I had picked up this pretty stellar Neoprene, scuba-suit-esque, material for the liner. Well, folks, that stuff is thick; and with the lining inside my fitted jacket shell, I looked more like the Michelin Man than the Masked Avenger of Home-Made Goods (gosh, what a lame character).

So instead of one, I will have two jackets, one with the original lining, and the one I've already finished, with the original shell. Lucky for me that meant fabric shopping, because even though it might not look like it, I'm running out of good fabrics.

In the opening shot, is me going cross-eyed trying to line up some diagonal pockets with two conflicting geometric grid patterns and a zipper, wonk! I should have this baby all sewn up soon and post the finished product in a day or two.

Check in for the final fitting.